Driving Abroad...

As the UK prepares to leave the EU, we are doing our best to ensure that we are well prepared for every eventuality and that the impact on our clients is kept to a bare minimum.

At present, if you have a motor insurance policy that allows you to drive within the EU, this will remain unchanged until the UK leave the EU. So, if you’re planning a trip that is completed before this happens, nothing changes for you.

In the event that the UK leaves the EU with no deal in place, UK drivers taking their vehicles to the EU, EEA, Switzerland, Andorra or Serbia may need a motor insurance Green Card. If you plan to be driving your vehicle in any of these countries once we leave the EU (or you are travelling prior to this and will not be returning before the UK leaves) then you should contact us to discuss the matter in more detail. 

Our Commercial Clients who may be operating in the EU may also need to consider the following:  

  • All commercial trailers over 750kg and all trailers over 3,500kg will need to be registered for international commercial use

  • You should check which type of International Driving Permits (IDP) you need to ensure that you can legally drive when you visit another country

  • You may need a GB sticker even if your vehicle has a Euro-plate (a number plate displaying both the EU flag and a GB sign)

Please see the ABI’s advice below on the insurance implications of driving your vehicle in the EU – including the Republic of Ireland - in the event of a no-deal Brexit. 

Bridle Insurance is a trading style of CFN Insurance Services Ltd who is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority our registered office is: Jamesons House, Compton Way, Witney, Oxon, OX28 3AB. Registered in England No: 5132465.

You can check our FCA registration details by visiting www.fca.org.uk/register and entering our firm reference number 307818.

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon
  • Black LinkedIn Icon